Each year Theta Sigma Omega awards Academic Scholarships to deserving college-bound seniors. Each scholarship award is $1,000.00. Over the last several decades, Theta Sigma Omega has awarded over $90,000 to graduating seniors of the Hattiesburg and surrounding areas.
Congratulations to the 2019 TSO Scholarship Recipients:
JaKyria Booth, Jeff Davis County High School
Jarrell Spight, Oak Grove High School
John Minor, Hattiesburg High School
The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Theta Sigma Omega Chapter 2020 Academic Scholarship Application is now available, and we invite 2020 high school graduates who will be attending a 2-yr or 4-yr college or university in the Fall 2020 semester to apply. The 2020 scholarship award amount is $1000.00 (one-time, nonrenewable). The application and counselor form links are provided below. The deadline for submission of all documents is July 8, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Award notifications will be disbursed no later than August 7, 2020.
All Applicants MUST:
- Graduate from high school during the academic year in which the scholarship is awarded
- Have at least a “B+” (88) average
- Fully complete scholarship application
- Upload a picture (headshot)
- Have Counselor Recommendation Form completed (electronic form listed below)
- Your counselor must also upload your current official high school transcript (Due by July 8, 2020)
- Submit a personal essay entitled, “Why I should be awarded the Theta Sigma Omega Academic Scholarship.” Include in this essay, factual information about you, your family, your educational and career goals, and your plans to achieve them. Essay should be 200-400 words, typed in Times New Roman, 12pt font, double-spaced.
- Show proof of acceptance to a college or university prior to receipt of scholarship in Fall. (Please present official written documentation from the college or university of enrollment to the Scholarship Committee Chair or to the Chapter President),
- Enter an accredited college or university by the fall of the year of graduation.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS, OR THOSE THAT DO NOT MEET ALL REQUIRED CRITERIA AND FORMATTING WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. THE APPLICATION, AND ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, MUST BE SUBMITTED UTILIZING THE ELECTRONIC FORMS LISTED BELOW ON OR BEFORE JULY 8, 2020 AT 11:59 P.M. (CST).
THE SCHOLARSHIP WILL BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY OF ENROLLMENT IN THE NAME OF THE SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT.