Each year Theta Sigma Omega awards Academic Scholarships to deserving college-bound seniors. Each scholarship award is $1,000.00. Over the last several decades, Theta Sigma Omega has awarded over $80,000 to graduating seniors of the Hattiesburg and surrounding areas.
Congratulations to the 2016 TSO Scholarship Recipients:
Karisma Barnes- Presbyterian Christian High School
Isaiah Garraway- Hattiesburg High School
Brittany Haynes- Oak Grove High School
Denesia Lee- Oak Grove High School
Ryone Thompson- Oak Grove High School
Dakota Wallace- Presbyterian Christian High School
All Participants MUST:
- Graduate from high school during the academic year in which the scholarship is awarded
- Have at least a “B+” (88) average
- Fully complete scholarship application and all accompanying documents
- Have at least one (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher, a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., or a community leader
- Have Counselor Recommendation Form completed by High School Counselor (in sealed envelope)
- Submit a personal essay entitled, “Why I should be awarded the Theta Sigma Omega Academic Scholarship.” (Essay should be 200-400 words, typed in Times New Roman, 12pt font, double-spaced.) *Include in this essay factual information about you, your family, your educational and career goals, and your plans to achieve them*
- Include with application your current high school transcript in a sealed envelope
Show proof of acceptance to a college or university prior to the scholarship being awarded. (Please present written information to the Scholarship Committee Chair or to the Chapter President),
- Enter an accredited college or university by the Fall of the year of graduation.
Applications have been disseminated to area high school counselors.
THIS APPLICATION, AND ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN APRIL 17, 2017 AND MAILED TO THE ADDRESS SHOWN BELOW:
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Theta Sigma Omega Chapter
P.O. Box 17942
Hattiesburg, MS 39404
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. AWARDED SCHOLARSHIPS WILL BE SENT DIRECTLY TO THE RESPECTIVE UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE IN THE NAME OF THE SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT.